An unofficial blog that watches Google's attempts to move your operating system online since 2005. Not affiliated with Google.

Send your tips to gostips@gmail.com.

November 29, 2007

The New Version of Gmail Adds Group Chat

Having three interfaces for Google Talk (the gadget, Gmail and the desktop client) seems to be a challenge for Google because the new features aren't propagated at the same time in all the interfaces. To make the challenge even more interesting, Google added a new interface: an updated Gmail Chat that's only available in the new version of Gmail.

This updated Gmail Chat includes two features that were already available in the gadget: smileys and group chat. To invite a new contact to an existing chat, click on "Options" and select "Group Chat". The problem is that your contact must use either the gadget or the new version of Gmail. If he uses the desktop client, a message will inform him to open the gadget, but in the old version of Gmail Chat there's no indication that you invited him to chat.


{ via Googlified }

9 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for the new version of gmail :(. It looks like they are doing the Apps for your Domain people last...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the italian version and I don't see the new Gmail yet... I see it just if I switch to english language (also imap)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we assume so that GTalk is just being abandoned? I hope not cos out of the 3 chat tools it is by far my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @max_ap,
    yes the italian version is not updated (unfortunately): I had to switch to english version to see the new features (now they work)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've switched to the desktop client from the online version precisely because the desktop has less functionality. All I want is to chat, so the leanest interface is the best for me. It annoys the hell out of me when they keep adding more and more functionallity to a nice package, thereby cluttering up the user interface and making it more difficult to use. Can we convince them to have a 4th version, with minimal functionality which never gets updated?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed GTalk as well, but it looks to be dead.

    I am still waiting for my new version of gmail . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think gmail is good in all it´s ways, but I am also glad that it is advancing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. han The New Version of Gmail Adds Group Chat"thank u abot that servece

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well if Google would add a gmail skins replacement since it no longer works correctly that would be a way better improvement.Much easier to add images to your mail with gmail skins change the look of it 2 things they are so very far behind in compared to all the other email clients.They still have alot of catching up in personalization of your mails in any way its dull boring even same with gtalk ugly boring no smilies color options nothing.dull dull dulll

    ReplyDelete